Sunday, June 19, 2011

BITTERSWEET FATHER'S DAY...

Where do I begin? Words can't express the thanks to all of you that have left the most heart-felt comments about the passing of my dad. Today I have a hole in my heart that I know will heal in time. The very first Father's Day in 59 years that I haven't spent with him. I know he's in a better place and that's he's here in spirit. We celebrated his life yesterday with a beautiful funeral service. The pastor gave a beautiful sermon, my son Chad did an outstanding tribute to his grandpa and we had a full military honor guard at the cemetary. Dad would have been so proud. Dad was a medic in England during WWII and worked in the operating room with the surgeons. He and my mom had a wonderful marriage of 65 years. He was the very best dad anyone could ever hope for. As for Grandpa, all you had to do was look at the faces of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren yesterday.
As most of you know, my Gannon (oldest grandson) has been my heart of hearts for 13 years. He has loved hanging around the shop, being my Santa, and worshipped his great-grandpa. He was taken back to the hospital on Friday and couldn't be with us yesterday. My mom's contribution from the funeral was for donations for his future care and I would like to thank everyone that has so generously given of their hearts.
I'd like to make a tribute to Dad with this post. First and foremost, he was a patriot. He always loved our country and proudly flew the flag in front of their home.

For as long as I can remember, Mom and Dad have had this cast iron sign out front with the three of us.


A day never went by that he didn't get up and feed the birds. They would both sit in their dining room and watch the wildlife in their backyard. Now it's our turn to take over and make sure the birdfeeders are full.


Dad built one of these birdfeeders for all of us as we each moved into a new home. All of the grandchildren have one and many others as well.


And here is his old fishing boat. Many hours were spent with my children digging worms and fishing. I'm sure my husband will continue the tradition for years to come.

I'm asking that you all keep Mom in your prayers during this difficult time. I know I've talked a lot about Dad during the past few years, but we are lucky that she is here with us and we all have to "pick ourselves up by the boot straps" and move forward and be thankful for all the blessings that God has given us.

So, with that, I would like to say Happy Father's Day to my husband, my sons, and my sons-in-law for being the fathers that will follow in Dad's footsteps. Happy Father's Day.

Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. Dawn, First and formost you are getting a big hug from me right now. I told Mr. P. on the way to church this morning about your post about your Dad and my heart was going out to you today on Father's Day. So sorry to hear about Gannon. Prayers are with him and his parents also. You take care of yourself and your Mom and know we are all here for you. Bet your Dad was enjoying himself sitting in a beautiful garden in heaven today and watching the birds and listening to their sweet songs. Such a great comfort knowing all his worries and pain have ceased. But, yet in your heart there is saddness. A loss. Daddy has been gone 8 years and I still miss him.
    Just a note, the day your Dad passed, Mother went on Hospice. So we are on the sad journey of waiting day by day until she reached the end and has a new home in heaven also. Life is so bittersweet. You have my prayers and are in my thoughts my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you !This post has touched my heart in a huge way and I wish I could give you a big hug. Praying for Gannon as well. Each day gets a little easier to deal with the loss but I don't think it ever goes completely away. This was a beautiful tribute to your wonderful dad and I thank you for sharing it .Hugs and Prayers,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, hugs to you. What a wonderful heartfelt post, your father would be so proud. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace, Love and Joy....
    Your Father is resting in Peace, at the right hand of Our Heavenly Father, this Father's Day.

    Love like there is no tomorrow, simple love is the foundation of wonderful memories.

    Your heart will fill with Joy again. Every time you see his smile on your Grand children's faces, joy will abound.

    Peace, joy, love and blessings to you and your family, Dawn.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man and I know you will miss him greatly.
    Blessings to your family,
    ~Rene~

    ReplyDelete
  6. your post had me in tears, sending big hugs your way, the memories you have of your dad will be with you always
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn, In tears right now from reading your post, but the pain of your loss will get better..I know, been there..but one thing is for sure you will never forget the memories, and there will be times you remember something about your dad at the wierdest time, and it will make you smile. Take care, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you are putting on a brave face...it is okay to share a broken heart....I feel your pain and I know that you have family to hold on to...I will be praying for you. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete