Monday, November 23, 2009

THANKSGIVING SOLUTION...

Good Monday evening gals. Just got home from The Little House and I'm ready to hit the couch. This old cold has seemed to have gotten the better of me over the weekend. We did get some things accomplished while we were there, but not as much as I had hoped.
Our Gannon (grandson) went up with us and I always love to have him! He is truly a joy!
Sunday morning my friend Debbie came over and we made "ice skate lamps" and I just love the way they turned out. I'll be having them in the shop before the weekend - hooray! Her hubby, Kenny, went to town with Dick and Gannon and then they went to pick some rose hips for us - bless their hearts!
Sunday afternoon, Dick took Gannon into the pier to try their hands at catching white fish. What a peaceful afternoon and evening! I put on some beautiful music and pulled out the decorations. I got the tree up and a minimal amount of other goodies, but just loved the feel when it was all done. I had a pot roast cooking on the stove, the candles lit and just enjoyed the first "alone" time I've had in a long time. I took a couple pictures, but couldn't figure out how to take the flash off!
This morning Dick and Gannon went into the woods to gather some greens for our front picket. I wanted to go so bad, but just wasn't up to it. We still need to finish the outside of the house, but it will have to wait for another weekend. The Little House with the beginnings of holiday decor!
Our little electric fireplace. My dad built this mantel for me a few years ago and it means the world to me. Sure does cozy up the living room.

Living room windowsill. I put a few things out, but may change it out next time we go up.

When we got there Saturday night, our old friend Harley (the neighbor dog) had to come to visit. He has been visiting for 8 years now and we all just love him. Gannon was thrilled to see him again.

Our neighbor's grandson, Austin, was up visiting also, so the boys got a chance to get reacquainted and throw a football around for awhile.
Got lots done, but had to take quite a few breaks. Trying to get everything ready for our visit with Connie and Rick next month! We are all looking forward to an old-fashioned "after Christmas" celebration - together!
This being Thanksgiving week, I hope you all take time to count your blessings. I never want to take all of my blessings for granted - the biggest being my family. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful daughter-in-law! Kim's parents invited us to their home this year so we are able to bring my Dad. I couldn't bear the thought of him sitting in that nursing home for the holiday and this is the perfect solution. Kim's mom, Sharon, fills in at the shop for me and we have known each other now for 23 years! There will only be eight of us for dinner, adults only, and it will be so wonderful to share that time with Dad! The other kids may drop in to say "hello" and have dessert after they have their dinners at other parent's and in-laws homes. There are no words to express what a blessing Jim and Sharon are this year - it will truly be a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I hope all of you are having fun planning, cooking, shopping and preparing for your special day.
Until next time...

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have that special time with Gannon and then to have Thanksgiving to look forward to with Dad in attendance too! I am just so thrilled for you! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with love, good food and make many memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute house Dawn, thank you for sharing the pics!

    I hope you can get over that cold quickly.

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn..... wow it sounds like you had a fun and rejuvenating weekend up north. We all need those from time to time. I hope you are feeling settled in your new place and can slow down a little bit now. Remember I owe you a work day so when you need the day off, please give me a call! The blog looks great. It was fun to finally see some photos of your place up north. I will be up at my place this weekend.... can't wait! Take care, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn....it sure has been a long time for me to be here visiting you and what a wonderful post I came upon...the little house is adorable!
    Glad you got some alone time - we all need it now and then....and so glad Gannon was able to be with you too.

    How wonderful of Kims MIL to share this wonderful day with you and those you love.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAWN.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn,
    What a great post ~ enjoyed the pics of the "little house". It is so cozy looking & what a great gift from your dad (the mantle). I hope you get feeling better. It's just as well we didn't make plans for Sunday cuz Simon went hunting & got another deer that morning. I'm so thrilled for you for your Thanksgiving plans, such a perfect solution. May it be a blessed time for you.

    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to be able to have your dad with you on Thanksgivng...I also hope you are feeling better.

    Love the little house and the greens on the fence, so Christmasey!
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good afternoon Dawn..what a lovely house..so very cozy!! I just love the picket fence and the greens to, very festive!

    Wishing you and yours a most joyous Thanksgiving.

    hugs, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey there dawn....i love what you have done so far....what a cute home...i love that santa...i need one more santa like that for my deck...where did you get him....thanks for sharing...i was at the shop today...and can run over there any old time...you just let me know the date...see ya....linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn,
    The "little hous" is so cute and inviting. So glad to hear that your dad can be with your family on Thanksgiving. Hope you feel better soon.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete